Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Strong Willed Children

Once again, I have been reminded very quickly that our child is a SWC (which is short for Strong Willed Child). I have always said that Aimee is "high maintenance" and you know, she is. Little things become battles, obedience is asked for over and over and then is given with a bad attitude.

Last night was a hard night emotionally for me and I am being very honest here. I thought that maybe I didn't deserve Aimee and that is why it took us so long to get pregnant. I thought that maybe I am a bad mother. I had lots of thoughts like that last night.

Today I read this on another blog:


There is nothing wrong with a SW child. Strong Willed is a personality trait, that’s all. A SW child is not abnormal. The parent's job is to train that child and help him in controlling his will. If you have a strong willed child, it’s because God knew that you could handle it. 1 Corinthians 10:13 is clear. You’re not given more than you can handle.

God says that He will not give me more than I can handle. Now, sometimes I think God trusts me more than I trust myself because sometimes parenting seems to be an uphill battle. I do know that God loves this little girl more that I could love her and I love her to the depths of my soul.

So, we are going to get through this. Here is how you can help if you are reading our blog (and this assusmes that you are family or friends):


1. Pray for us first and foremost. Pray that we will lead our daughter by example and that we will be in tune with her needs. Pray that God will give us the STRENGTH to parent her as He parents us.

2. Pray for Aimee and that she will obey because she loves Jesus and her parents. Pray that she will not obey us because of a "spirit of fear" but a "spirit of love". Pray for her actions and her body.

3. Pray for her teachers at school and at church, for endurance and strength. Pray that they will be firm but not lose patience with her.

4. Please be firm with her if you are babysitting her for us. Do NOT let her "get one over on you" because in the long run, it makes it harder on her. Be firm with your expectations. Do what you tell her you are going to do even if it breaks her heart (and yours).

5. Praise her! She loves to have positive praise and craves this. A hug is a great thing for her!


This is my new prayer:

“Lord, You know my inadequacies. You know my weaknesses, not only in parenting, but in every area of my life. I’m doing the best I can to raise my child properly, but it may not be good enough. As You provided the fish and the loaves to feed the five thousand hungry people, now take my meager effort and use it to bless my family. Make up for the things I do wrong. Satisfy the needs that I have not met. Compensate for my blunders and mistakes. Wrap Your great arms around my child, and draw her close to You. And be there when she stands at the great crossroads between right and wrong. All I can give them is my best, and I will continue to do that. I submit her to You now and rededicate myself to the task You have placed before me. The outcome rests securely in Your hands.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think this is my favorite post of all. Truly a humble heart!! I love you guys!